This infection of the vaginal area results in a milky discharge, itchiness and soreness. This is caused by an outgrowth of the bad bacteria that thrives in the vagina, thereby interrupting the normal vaginal flora. You can get BV without having sex, but many women who are diagnosed with BV report having recent sexual activity with either male or female partners. Your child’s pediatrician can make the diagnosis of BV during a physical examination by looking for the signs associated with the infection.
Female partners should seek testing and may need treatment. It’s especially important for pregnant women with symptoms to be treated to help decrease the risk of premature delivery or low birth weight. If left untreated, bacterial vaginosis can increase your vulnerability to sexually transmitted infections and may, in some cases, lead to preterm birth or even miscarriage. Bacterial Infections 101 Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which bacteria cause food poisoning, sexually transmitted bacteria, and more. Because the cause and development of bacterial vaginosis is poorly understood, it can be difficult to take measures to prevent it from occurring.
How To Prevent Bacterial Vaginosis
Seeing a primary care provider or gynecologist is the best and safest option for treatment. Bacterial vaginosis is not transferrable to male partners, but is to female partners, so both females should consider being treated. Douching with vinegar or antiseptics causes inflammation and can increase the risk of infections. It is important that you get tested and treated if you are pregnant and experiencing BV symptoms. Please note, that Superdrug Online Doctor does not treat pregnant women. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a treatment if suitable.
- Alternatively, you can add a half cup of apple cider vinegar to a bath and soak in it for 30 minutes.
- To help during the day, moisten a clean cloth with ice water and apply directly to the vagina.
- According to statistics of National Survey Family Growth , about 10.3% of the women in the US use IUDs for contraception.
- Some other infections may have symptoms that mimic this condition.
- 4 Ways to Cure Bacterial Vaginosis Naturally Learn More RepHresh is a product that claims to treat bacterial vaginosis by encouraging a positive pH balance in the vagina.
- If you are experiencing symptoms such as an itch or pain while urinating, then your symptoms are not caused by bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial vaginosis is caused by an overabundance of bad bacteria, called gardnerella, in the vaginal tract. Bacterial vaginosis is not well understood, however, the condition has been associated with sexual activity and having multiple sexual partners. There is also a link between using an download Bacteria Vaginosis for Android intrauterine device for birth control and douching to development of the conditon. Symptoms include itching, burning, a fishy smell and a clear to grayish discharge.
Sexual Health Clinics Can Help With Bacterial Vaginosis
According to a study, vitamin C vaginal tablets are effective in treating bacterial vaginosis . They successfully treated 86% of women who participated in the study. Homeopathy medicines are highly effective to treat cases of bacterial vaginosis. The top grade medicines to treat bacterial vaginosis are Sepia, Natrum Mur, Merc Sol, Kreosote and Medorrhinum.